November 7, 2013: A nonny started a thread titled "Yarnbombing is offensive and maybe classist," based on this Tumblr post.
The conversation began mildly enough, with comments like "Seems like reasonable criticism to me, though" and wondering about who can afford to waste yarn in hard economic times. Soon a new nonny stated, "It's what I do with the nasty yarn in my stash." To which another replied, "You choose to inflict it on the rest of the world?"
As it turned out, that nonny does take their yarn down after a few days before it begins to rot. However, others continued to wank hard. Subwanks:
- The difference between yarnbombing public spaces and yarnbombing people's yards
- The inherent problems with knitting sweaters for the poor instead (and with used-clothing donations in general)
- Banksy snark
- "I've done it a few times… Just cut it down if you hate it so much."
- "I let my dog pee on that crap because that's about all that it's worth."
- A graffiti!anon claiming, "Every argument against yarnbombing here I've seen levelled at graffiti over the years. Which is funny in itself, as yarbombing is seen as a twee/bourgeios/~girls' thing by the hardcore graf world, so yay, ~legitimacy at lasssst."